Wow, 2012's first completed project!

Today has been lovely. A sleep-in, followed by sorting through my yarn stash, knitting while listening to Cast-on, drinking tea I got for Christmas, and eating leftover Christmas cake. This is how I used to spend my weekends when we lived in England, but since being in Oz I just haven't done it. I'm going to try and make knitting a priority in my life in 2012, I get so much out of it. Including wearable knits!

I bought Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran yarn in December 2004 to make Knitty's Tempting and started knitting it in early 2005. By 2006 it was a UFO, and I notice that in August 2008 I had decided I was never going to complete it, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't wear it. I queued Shalom (link to pattern PDF) by Meghan from Involving the Senses in Ravelry in October 2008, and looks like I started it in April 2009. I have never blogged or made any other record about this project. I think I started it one weekend, worked on it intensively for a week or so, then stopped.

Shalom Close-up Front
Today, I went through my stash (one of my 2012 goals). I saw Shalom, and how little I needed to do. I finished it in 2 hours. I think the reason I stopped knitting was that I wasn't sure if there was enough yarn to make it. There definitely wasn't enough to make it full length, but I just knitted until I used all the yarn and it's a nice cropped length. It's not the most flattering garment, as it does stop right at my waist, but I think it will be great with skinny jeans and a long sleeved T-shirt.

Shalom Closeup side

The Shalom cardigan was on my Year of Projects list - so I can cross it off! I also did some knitting on a pair of socks, so I am going well so far.


7 comments:

Dorothy said...

Hi from a fellow Aussie. Isn't it a great feeling to complete something? Your cropped cardi looks lovely.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Yay, congrats on completing it. I think it looks very cute.

pinkundine said...

Congrats on your first 2012 FO (and on getting it out of the UFO pile!)

It looks gorgeous. I love that pattern, it's really about time I made one for myself!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Sometimes projects need a little time-out so that you can see it with a fresh set of eyes. It is cute as a cropped cardi and very fashionable. I wouldn't have known it was meant to be full-length until you said so. Congratulations on a lovely FO!

Laila said...

Nice work, it seems you've had a great start to 2012. The cardi looks great and what a reliefe to finish something from the pile.

Creatively Lisa said...

That came out beautiful. What a great job you did.

Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said...

How lovely to have finished something in just a few hours - that's got to be a good start to the year! :)